Thursday, October 17, 2013

Crump/Quinn American Studies: Genealogy Project

Hi all-
It looks like you will be researching the immigration process and then exploring your own family history. Your teachers will have you start by getting some info from this site-
I am going to show you Proquest Historical New York Times, which is an online database that has the full content of the New York Times from 1851 to 2007, including classified adds. It is a great way to get a picture of daily life during different time periods. You will need a password from home so be sure to grab a “Home Access Password” sheet.
Mrs. Quinn asked me to share with you my experiences in tracing my kids family history – my family and my wife’s. Here is a link to what I found-
I did this a few years ago using mostly Ancestry.com and interviewing living family members.  Ancestry has added way more features and content. All you do is enter what you know and it matches it against what they have- you keep clicking till it cant find anymore. It is a pay site but you can do a 30 day trial
Harvard historian Henry Louis Gates has a page with great links to get started on your own family history-
I was fascinated with what I found, but I wish I had spent more time interviewing and videotaping my older relatives while they were still alive- when they are gone a lot of great stories and details are gone forever. Talk to your older relatives while you can- they will appreciate being able to pass on their stories, and you will be able to pass them on to the next generation.
Please feel free to stop by and see me if you are interested in further exploring your family history through online sources. I would be happy to help.
OK see you soon
Mr. Davidson

No comments:

Post a Comment